An open source software is no longer a Trojan horse in the hands of hackers and a few computer specialists. For companies that need to adapt faster than ever to technological evolution it’s an increasingly common option.
But is it positive that open source also reaches DAM Digital Asset Management systems? If your company manages numerous visual, audiovisual and graphic digital resources, a Digital Asset Management system is an ideal solution to maintain order and ensure a uniform brand image. But do you have the necessary preparation to leave those tasks in the hands of an open source system?
Before starting, this is what we will learn in this post:
- What is an open source DAM?
- What open source DAM systems are in the market?
- Benefits of DAM systems
- Pros and cons of an open source DAM
1. What is an open source DAM?
An open source Digital Asset Management system implies that the software source code is available to the public or whoever downloads the license. Therefore, it is the alternative most pursued by those companies that need to develop, implement and launch systems and apps tailored to very specific needs, since it allows total customization.
However, this means that your company will need a highly trained IT team with knowledge of managing open source DAM, in order to avoid long periods of trial and error, or maybe hire a consultant or external team specialized in these tasks. And that leads to an extra budget — even equivalent to an on premise DAM license.
This is very important in terms of security: remember that a Digital Asset Management system contains all your company's digital resources, so the IT department must guarantee that they are being properly encrypted.
2. What open source DAM systems are in the market?
There is no right or wrong DAM system in general terms: it depends on each company's needs and, above all, on its current business stage. For this reason, Digital Asset Management open source systems tend to be hired by small or medium-sized businesses, and even by non-profit organizations, that want to save the cost of a complete and powerful on premise service that also carries significant annual fees.
But an open source DAM is not totally free. After all, the basis of a Digital Asset Management system is storing digital files, so the license can be free, but not the storage capacity. Many open source DAM companies, such as ResourceSpace, Nuxeo, Phraseanet or PimCore, offer different quotas depending on the space you need, as well as other complementary services (technical support, on premise hosting, backups …).
3. Benefits of DAM systems
Now that you understand better what is an open source DAM and which vendors are in the market, it’s the perfect occasion to know some of the benefits that Digital Asset Management Open Source systems can offer. Some of them are:
- More consistent brand image: more professional and harmonious across all its images, fonts…
- Controlled access is guarantee: with a DAM everybody will know when something changes, and also who did it.
- Content harmonization: Digital Asset Management systems ensure that all the members of the company have the same information, the lastest asset versions updated.
If you want to discover more benefits about this software, you can’t miss this post!
4. Pros and cons of an open source DAM
- Reduction of license costs and annual fees
- 100% control and customization of the DAM system
- Quick start-up
- Community that generates constant updates
- Need for an IT team specialized in open source DAM
- Absence of in-person training and specific technical support
- Non-automated scalability
- Limited storage space
Probably you are still in doubt about which DAM is the most suitable for your company. Maybe we can help you in this difficult task… But attention! Be careful because you can fall in love with our PIM, which offers a complete tool with additional functionalitites of Digital Asset Management systems. Remeber that a DAM is focused in harbor all your company's digital resources, but a Product Information Management software goes one step ahead.
Do not hesitate to contact us to tell you everything, study your case and do a test without any cost. We are already waiting for you